EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Micah Parsons was not stunned by the Dallas Cowboys’ 40-0 throttling of the New York Giants on Sunday.
“Little doubt in my thoughts,” Parsons stated. “I noticed it earlier than anyone. I stated, ‘I can not wait to get to New York.’ I already knew we was coming. Simply because when preparation meets execution, I do not suppose there is no one that may beat us.”
* The most important shutout win in franchise historical past. Previous to Sunday, that distinction belonged to a 38-0 win towards the Baltimore Colts in 1978.
* The second-largest margin of victory towards the Giants in 122 matchups. In 1966, the Cowboys opened the season with a 56-7 win over New York. And in 1995, the Cowboys opened the yr with a 35-0 win towards the Giants.
* The Cowboys grew to become the fifth workforce to open their season with a shutout of 40-plus factors on the highway, based on ESPN Stats & Info analysis. The final such event got here in 1999, when the Pittsburgh Steelers defeated the Cleveland Browns, 43-0.
* The Cowboys sacked Daniel Jones seven occasions. It was probably the most sacks in a season opener by a Dallas protection because it had 9 in 1994.
* Cowboys operating again Tony Pollard was the fifth Cowboy within the final 50 years with a number of speeding touchdowns in a season opener and the primary since Marion Barber in 2008.
The 1978 Cowboys misplaced to the Pittsburgh Steelers in Tremendous Bowl XIII. The 1966 Cowboys made it to the NFL Championship Recreation, dropping to the Inexperienced Bay Packers. The 1995 Cowboys gained Tremendous Bowl XXX. The 1994 Cowboys made it to the NFC Championship Recreation.
Because the Cowboys start 2023, they wish to get to a Tremendous Bowl for the primary time since 1995.
“Yeah it is only one win, it is the start of the season, however positively really feel like we put the league on discover, that we’re for actual, that we’re coming,” defensive finish DeMarcus Lawrence stated. “However we obtained quite a lot of work to do.”
Particular groups and the protection began the Cowboys’ success with Noah Igbinoghene returning a blocked subject purpose try from Juanyeh Thomas on New York’s first possession for a landing, and DaRon Bland returning a Jones’ interception for a rating after an enormous hit on Saquon Barkley.
“I feel from there we took the life out of them,” stated Parsons, who was certainly one of 5 Cowboys defenders with a minimum of one sack.
The Giants gained 38 yards on their first drive however would achieve greater than that on simply certainly one of their remaining 11 drives. That they had three drives that resulted in adverse yardage.
“The protection was relentless,” stated coach Mike McCarthy, who gained his first season opener as Cowboys coach in 4 tries.
With the victory, Dak Prescott gained his eleventh straight begin towards the Giants and has not misplaced to the Giants since 2016, his rookie yr. Corridor of Famer Roger Staubach had an 11-game win streak towards New York within the Seventies. Because the 1970 merger, solely Tom Brady has an extended win streak towards a divisional opponent, beating the Buffalo Payments 13 straight occasions from Dec. 27, 2003 to Dec. 26, 2010. Patrick Mahomes at the moment has an 11-game win streak for the Kansas Metropolis Chiefs towards the Denver Broncos.
However Prescott, who accomplished 13 of 24 passes for 143 yards within the rain-soaked recreation, wasn’t contemplating the win any type of assertion.
“That is y’all’s job to write down no matter assertion it must be,” Prescott stated. “For us, it is about not getting forward of ourselves, persevering with to remain disciplined, present that self-discipline, not solely what we did via these 4 quarters however taking that and ensuring we use that in our preparation after which transferring ahead subsequent week going house towards one other New York workforce, workforce.
“It is the NFL. You have to present up week in and week out and be ready. You do not see quite a lot of wins like this, so we’re not going to get forward of ourselves on this.”