Home » Houston house fire: Several pets missing after house fire on Bonner Street was likely sparked by space heater

Houston house fire: Several pets missing after house fire on Bonner Street was likely sparked by space heater

by admin
HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — A fireplace sparked by an area heater in a single day ended up costing a veteran his residence, and probably his pets.

Flames had been capturing out of a southeast Houston residence as firefighters labored to get it underneath management throughout freezing temperatures in a single day.

The fireplace was reported on Bonner Avenue close to Radcliffe round 10:45 p.m. Thursday.

ABC13 reporter Courtney Fischer talked to the home-owner, Mike, as he stood in entrance of what was left of his home. His canine Stella would not depart his aspect.

His neighbors introduced him espresso and a scorching breakfast.

Mike, a Vietnam Warfare veteran, had lived on the home since 1984. He mentioned each time there’s a chilly snap, he units up area heaters.

He mentioned he arrange an area heater within the again bed room Thursday round 10:30 p.m. He needed to maintain his pets heat.

“I assume that is the place it began as a result of that is the place I put the area heater final evening,” Mike mentioned.

He lived on the residence alone with eight canines and 4 cats.

He woke as much as smoke and hearth filling his home. A neighbor pounded on his door to alert him to the flames.

He was capable of get out safely, however for the reason that hearth, he is solely been capable of finding 4 of his canines.

“I had smoke detectors however, the one within the kitchen, I do not know if it went off or not,” Mike mentioned.

When temperatures dipped into the 20s, Mike solely thought of his pets. He mentioned he would do something to maintain them heat.

“I do not need them to be chilly now. I do not need to be separated from them, however that is the most effective factor for them. I would like for them to be someplace safer than this,” he mentioned.

Mike is a retired METRO driver. He drove buses for the Metropolis of Houston for shut to twenty years.

He has a variety of neighbors and mates locally who’re serving to him out. The Purple Cross will even assist him discover a place to remain tonight.

Consultants say it is best to take the next precautions when utilizing an area heater:

  • Preserve something that may burn not less than three toes away from the heater
  • Plug the heater right into a wall outlet, not an influence strip
  • Bear in mind to show off the heater earlier than going to sleep

For extra on this story, observe Courtney Fischer on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Copyright © 2022 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Comment