CHICAGO (CBS) — Police imagine the identical individual is answerable for no less than eight armed robberies involving a machete in Northwest Facet neighborhoods.
The assaults have occurred in Irving Park, Avondale, and Logan Sq..
CBS 2’s Charlie De Mar spoke solely to 1 lady – who stated she thought she was going to die when she noticed the scale of the machete pulled on her. She complied with the robber’s calls for and wasn’t harm – however the randomness of the assaults is regarding for these on the Northwest Facet.
Maria Mayancena pointed to the spot on a sleepy Avondale block the place she was robbed whereas strolling alone Friday evening.
“Perhaps right here, a really massive machete,” she stated.
A automobile pulled up round 9 p.m., and a person bought out and pulled a big machete on her. She continues to be shaken.
“I do not know,” Mayancena stated.
Mayancena handed over her belongings. The person bought again within the passenger seat of a automobile, they usually drove away.
In Spanish, Mayancena stated: “I assumed he was going to kill me with the machete. I did not need him to do something to me. I let him take the cash. I let him take the bag. ”
The newest assault occurred on Sunday evening, when a 52-year-old man was strolling alone close to Troy and Grace streets in Irving Park with a pizza when a machete was swung at him – inflicting him to fall. Police say the attacker additionally jumped out of a ready automobile.
The person’s pockets and the pizza had been stolen. CBS 2’s Tara Molina spoke to the sufferer’s girlfriend.
“He got here with the machete,” the sufferer’s girlfriend stated. He instructed him, he instructed him give me your cash.”
The incident instances and places are as follows:
· 3000 block of North Christiana Avenue on Friday, Might 27 at 7:58 p.m. The machete-wielding attacker approached a 34-year-old man and demanded the sufferer’s property. The sufferer handed it over, and the attacker left in a grey sedan.
· 3200 block of North Monticello Avenue on Monday, Might 30 at 11:45 p.m. A 19-year-old man was strolling on the sidewalk when the person with the machete got here up and demanded his property. The sufferer complied, and the attacker left in a silver/grey sedan.
· 4100 block of West Fletcher Road between Monday, Might 30 at 11:45 p.m. and Tuesday, Might 31 at 12:10 a.m. A 47-year-old man was strolling on the sidewalk when the attacker got here up and demanded his property whereas brandishing a machete. The sufferer complied, and the attacker fled within the silver/grey sedan.
· 3300 block of North Monticello Avenue on Friday, June 3 at 9 p.m. A girl was strolling residence when the person approached her, brandishing the machete as he demanded her property. The sufferer complied, however the attacker then pushed the sufferer and fled again into the passenger facet of the car during which he’d arrived.
· 4000 block of West Eddy Road on Friday, June 3 between 9 p.m. and 9:15 p.m. Two girls, ages 22 and 56, had been approached by the machete-wielding offender. He demanded each their property they usually complied. He fled within the silver/grey sedan.
· 3000 block of Christina Avenue on Saturday, June 4 round 8:20 p.m. A 44-year-old lady was strolling when a person got here up from behind and bought the sufferer’s consideration by talking. The person ordered the sufferer at hand over her property, and she or he complied.
· 4100 block of West Wellington Avenue on Saturday, June 4 simply earlier than 9 p.m. A 28-year-old lady was crossing the road with a 7-month-old child boy when a silver sedan virtually hit her. The motive force apologized and saved going. The lady and the child then went into the alley, at which period the silver sedan reversed the car to enter the alley. The motive force then waved a pointy object, demanded the sufferer’s property, and bought again within the automobile and left.
· 3700 block of North Troy Road on Sunday, June 5, round 9 p.m. This was the incident during which the 52-year-old man had the machete swung at him whereas carrying a pizza.
Avondale resident Lisa Russell, who did not wish to present her face, says she’s seen the person for whom police are trying.
“I’ve seen him strolling as much as a entrance door and knocking on the door and no one answered it,” Russell stated. “I used to stroll to the grocery retailer, stroll to the greenback retailer. Now I will not do it. ”
As for Mayancena, she has this message for her attacker.
“Cease doing what you’re doing,” she stated in Spanish. “We aren’t harming anybody. We do not need any extra tragedies to occur. We’re out and about and really feel scared.”
Police say they’ve devoted extra assets to the Northwest Facet and are targeted on making an arrest. No severe accidents have been reported in any of the robberies.